Remodeled store adds 225 new jobs
DUMFRIES, Va., Aug. 13, 2010 – The wait is over for residents in Dumfries eager to see their Walmart at 17041 Jefferson Davis Highway bring savings on a full line of groceries and a wide assortment of new products and services. The new Walmart is designed to make shopping easy for customers. The store’s expansion brings 30 new jobs to the community. The store will unveil the new expansion to customers at 7:30 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 18 after a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“We have a loyal customer base and some have been shopping here since our original opening,” said store manager Tony Sherald. “We think they’ll love the new, easy-to-shop layout of the store and appreciate the savings we offer on the products they need.”
New Layout Improves Customer Experience
The Dumfries Walmart also features a new layout and updated design. In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandise and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores with faster service, a friendlier shopping experience and cleaner stores.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save customers time as they shop for everyday necessities at our unbeatable prices,” said Sherald. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
The new layout creates an open shopping environment with wider aisles that contain no product displays. Lower shelving throughout the store creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly.
Remodeled Walmart Adds 225 New Jobs
The store plans to employ approximately 450 associates, including approximately 225 positions created by the remodel. “Joining Walmart was a great career decision for me, as it has been for so many of my fellow associates,” Sherald said. “I am proud to work for this company where there are unlimited opportunities and to bring those opportunities to our community and neighbors.”
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Dumfries store, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting throughout the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting. Part of the cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
The store is continuing its support of the community by giving $3,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to local organizations. The grant recipients include the Boys and Girls Club of Dumfries and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Walmart and the Walmart Foundation have committed $2 billion to U.S. hunger relief efforts through 2015. The Fighting Hunger Together campaign will also engage Walmart customers and associates in the fight against hunger. More information can be found at walmart.com/fightinghunger.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT), or “Walmart,” serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at more than 8,400 retail units under 55 different banners in 15 countries. With fiscal year 2010 sales of $405 billion, Walmart employs more than 2.0 million associates worldwide. A leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity, Walmart ranked first among retailers in Fortune Magazine’s 2009 Most Admired Companies survey. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com and on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com and www.samsclub.com.
- Location: 17041 Jefferson Davis Highway, Dumfries, Va.
- 176,660-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug.18, following a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Tony Sherald
- Open 7 a.m. to 12 midnight
- Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, and fresh produce
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center and Walmart MoneyCenter
- Leased areas and services include a Subway Restaurant
- $3,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Boys and Girls Club of Dumfries
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Store plans to employ approximately 450 associates, including approximately 225 positions added by the expansion.
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Virginia is approximately $11.70 per hour*
- Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken July 2010. See www.walmartstores.com for details.
# # #