BENTONVILLE, Ark. (Nov. 23, 2009) – Walmart announced today it will help shoppers get a jumpstart on Christmas shopping by offering unbeatable prices1 on hundreds of items via a string of Thanksgiving-weekend-savings events. Beginning at 5 a.m. on Nov. 27, store items from electronics to toys to apparel will feature prices that are sure to be at the top of gift lists this holiday season. Starting today, all of these special values can be viewed online at Walmart.com.
Sure to be watched are Walmart’s HDTVs which will be showcased as a feature-savings event for just one day, beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday, Nov. 28. Also, on Thanksgiving Day, Walmart.com will offer a sleigh full of online-only specials.
“We know mom is working hard to make it a great holiday season this year,” said John Fleming, Walmart U.S. chief merchandising officer. “We created a whole weekend of unprecedented savings online and in stores, and now she can breathe a little easier knowing she doesn't have to compromise to give her family the Christmas they deserve."
Along with its full plate of Thanksgiving weekend specials and wide assortment of brands, Walmart provides yet another gift to consumers this holiday: an ad match program. The retailer promises to match the price of any local competitor's printed ad for an identical product, including matching competitor’s deals for the day after Thanksgiving1.
“Our match program is a great way for mom to save money and time,” explained Fleming. “She has the comfort of knowing she doesn’t have to run from store to store looking for the lowest price; we can deliver the best price to her no matter what – we won’t be beat.”
Go Online at Walmart.com Thursday: On Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 26), Walmart.com will offer nearly 50 online-only specials with savings up to 40 percent on many of the season’s top gifts, including electronics, video games, toys and more. All of Walmart.com’s Thanksgiving Day online-only specials are available for free shipping with Site to Store. Examples include:
- Philips Noise Canceling Headphones – under $20
- Sanyo 8-MP digital camera – under $60
- Garmin Nuvi 205 GPS – under $100
- Exclusive Holiday Tabletop Set with service for 8 (plates, silverware, glassware, linens) – $100
- Nintendo Wii Console w/ Wii Sports Resort Value Bundle – under $300
- RCA 42” LCD HDTV (42” diagonal viewing area) – under $600
Hit the Stores Friday Morning: $3 sleepwear for the family, a $298 laptop and more, Walmart’s day-after-Thanksgiving event from 5 a.m. to 11 a.m. highlights the gifts moms want for their family. All items are available in limited quantities. Sorry, no rainchecks.
- Emerson 32-inch LCD HDTV (31.5” diagonal viewing area) for $248 and 42-inch Plasma (42.3” diagonal viewing area) for $448
- Canopy 600-thread-count sheet set – $24
- Magnavox Blu-ray Disc Player – $78
- Nintendo DS Lite in assorted colors – $98
- PS3 Console with bonus games Infamous, Arkham Asylum and The Dark Knight – $299
- $7 reversible bubble jackets for the family
- HP Laptop Computer 3 GB memory, 250 GB hard drive – $298
And the savings continue with all day Friday offerings, such as:
- Paula Deen 10-piece Cookware with 7-piece bonus set – $89
- Sony Bravia 40-inch LCD HDTV (40” diagonal viewing area) – $598
- Sony Blu-ray Disc Player, Model BDP-S360 – $118
- $9 DVD movies, with titles including Star Trek and GI Joe
For a full list of savings visit www.walmart.com.
Saturday Morning Event: According to the Consumer Electronics Association, televisions are one of the top 10 items on adults’ holiday gift wish lists. This Saturday Walmart will offer a variety of Samsung HDTVs, including:
- 32" 720P LCD HDTV (31.5” diagonal viewing area) – $398
- 46" 1080P LCD HDTV (45.9” diagonal viewing area) – $848
- 42" 720P Plasma HDTV (42.3” diagonal viewing area) – $548
- 50" 720P Plasma HDTV (49.9” diagonal viewing area) – $698
These HDTVs are available in limited quantities. Sorry, no rainchecks.
Also on Saturday, the retailer will host exclusive viewings of footage from Miley Cyrus’s Wonder World Tour at 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. Shoppers will be offered the best prices on the Miley Cyrus & Max Azria for Walmart dress assortment along with unbeatable savings on Miley Cyrus’s latest music. And in select stores with grocery, fans can also enjoy free Marketside Ultimate Cheese pizza.
Many of Walmart’s U.S. stores will be open 24 hours for the day-after-Thanksgiving event. Store maps are also available at Walmart.com to help consumers plan their in-store shopping strategy.
ATTENTION TELEVISION AND WEB MEDIA
Walmart sound bites and b-roll supplementing this release are available for local television and Web use.
Interested media can access the full clip at http://walmartstores.com/Video/?id=1453.
Run Time: 1:39 sec b-roll
Description: Images of customers in Walmart. Shots of Walmart signage and exterior.
Questions, interviews or access to film in stores: Call Walmart Media Relations 800-331-0085.
Walmart B-roll is also available via Satellite Mon., Nov. 23 at 9 am and 2 pm Central Time
Galaxy 18 (123 Degrees WL) KU Digital
D/L 12166.5 (H)
Symbol Rate: 6.62 (Data Rate: 8.144)
Monday, November 23, 2009
9 am-9:15am Central (10:00am-10:15am Eastern)
Monday, November 23, 2009
2 pm-2:15pm Central (3:00pm-3:15pm Eastern)
Every week, millions of customers visit Walmart stores, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Walmart is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $378 million to local communities in the United States. More information about Walmart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com.
1 Our stores will match the price of any local competitor's printed ad for an identical product. Not applicable to Walmart.com. Restrictions apply. See store for details.
# # #