Retailer Offers $20 Thanksgiving Meal, Brings Back $298 Notebook with 3GB Memory and Introduces $100 Gift Card on Xbox Arcade for One Week
BENTONVILLE, Ark. (Nov. 4, 2009) – Dedicated to helping American families save money on both holiday traditions and gift items, Walmart (NYSE: WMT) announced today significant price reductions* on Thanksgiving dinner favorites, TVs and other popular electronics. In addition to seeking savings on gifts under the Christmas tree, recent research shows more than 50 percent of consumers plan to shop price discounts in the coming weeks on non-gift purchases for themselves or family.**
Starting Saturday, Walmart stores will begin their first one-week electronics savings event with special buys and Rollbacks, including a new $298 HP notebook computer. In addition, as shoppers evaluate the impact of tight budgets on holiday meal planning, beginning today Walmart will feature select 12-pound turkeys for less than $5, helping families serve a complete Thanksgiving meal for eight this year as low as $20.*
“We’re proving that we’re committed to helping moms afford the holidays in these tough economic times,” said Jack Sinclair, executive vice president, groceries, Walmart. “That’s why we’re offering incredible pricing on the turkey and all the fixings.”
A turkey dinner for eight as low as $20
- According to a survey by the American Farm Bureau Federation, last year’s average cost of a turkey was roughly $1.19 per pound. Beginning today, select Grade A turkeys are available for 40 cents per pound at Walmart.* These gobblers are part of Walmart’s $20 Thanksgiving menu guaranteeing family favorites will be on the dinner table this holiday season. Walmart’s $20 Thanksgiving feast includes:
One 12-pound Grade A turkey*
- Three 11 to 15.5-ounce cans Green Giant vegetables
- Two 14-ounce cans Ocean Spray cranberry sauce
- Three 6-ounce boxes of Stove Top stuffing
- One 5-pound bag of red potatoes
- One 12-count package of Sara Lee dinner rolls
- One 22-ounce pumpkin roll cake
Electronics week of savings event
- Beginning at 8 a.m. Nov. 7, Walmart will have its first of many special electronics savings events, which includes a week of amazing prices on electronics items at stores through Nov. 13.* Items for this event include:
$298 HP Notebook Computer – 3GB memory, 250 GB hard drive, Windows 7 Premium
- Sharp 1080p HDTVs – 42” for $498, 46” for $698 (120 Hz), 52” for $898 (120 Hz)***
- Panasonic 46” 1080p plasma HDTV for $788***
- Xbox 360 Arcade Console $199 with $100 Walmart Gift Card (for use on future purchases; minimum store quantities are at least 10 per store)
- $148 Sony Blu-ray player (model #BDP-S360)
- $29 Magnavox Upconvert DVD player (model #DP170MGXF, 1080p)
"Each holiday season we focus on delivering a better price on quality entertainment and electronics, and this season is no different," said Gary Severson, senior vice president, entertainment, Walmart. "We're excited about our electronics event that starts Saturday. It will be evident through the coming weeks that this year Walmart will offer more opportunities for our customers to save than ever before."
According to recent research by the Consumer Electronics Association, four out of five adults plan to purchase electronic items this holiday season.
Customers can find more information about recent Walmart price reductions and holiday savings for electronics and toys at www.walmart.com/ChristmasShop.
* Prices and availability may vary in AK, HI, OK, NM, WI and at Walmart.com. Prices on select Grade A turkeys begin November 4; limit two turkeys per customer; weights and brands vary by store. Prices on electronics items begin November 7. Quantities are limited; no rain checks; purchase limit on select electronics items of two per customer. All prices do not include tax.
** Research taken from BIGresearch, Consumer Intentions and Actions, October 2009.
*** For HDTVs above, diagonal viewing area is as described: 42” class is 41.9”, 46” class is 45.9”, and 52” class is 51.9”
ATTENTION TELEVISION AND WEB MEDIA
Walmart sound bites and b-roll, supplementing this release, are available for local television and web use. Interested media can access the full clip at http://walmartstores.com/Video/?id=1432
Run Time: 1:25 sec b-roll / TRT: 1:30
Description: Images of frozen turkeys in store being priced, food purchases, hi-definition television, Xbox Arcade and general shots with customers in Walmart. Shots of Walmart signage and exterior.
Questions, interviews or access to film in stores: Call Walmart Media Relations 800-331-0085.
Every week, millions of customers visit Walmart stores, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Walmart is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $378 million to local communities in the United States.
# # #