Relocated store provides 350 new jobs, $20,000 in local grants
MANASSAS, Va., Oct. 26, 2009 – A new Walmart opens this month in Manassas, bringing approximately 350 planned new jobs, savings on a full line of groceries and an increase in tax revenue to support the area’s economy. Nonprofit organizations will also benefit from the retailer’s ongoing charitable contributions and support for community projects. The new Walmart, located at 8386 Sudley Road, will be open to customers at 8 a.m., Wednesday, Oct. 28.
Store Designed to Improve Customer Experience
In recent months, Walmart has taken major steps to refresh its stores, merchandising and customer experience. The improvements have all come together in the company’s newest stores, such as the Manassas Walmart.
The new Walmart features wide aisles, enhanced service and a layout designed to make the shopping experience more convenient for customers. Walmart aligned the departments that customers shop most frequently. The pharmacy, for example, is adjacent to food making it easier for customers to pick up their prescriptions while shopping for their groceries.
“The layout of the store is easy to navigate, which will save our customers time as they shop for everyday necessities,” said store manager Georgia Knepp. “By grouping the products that our customers most often purchase including health and beauty and pet supplies, we are making one-stop shopping even easier.”
A bright interior color palette creates an inviting shopping experience and helps define the store’s merchandise areas. Lower shelving creates an improved sightline and directional signage on every aisle helps customers find what they are looking for quickly. Walmart also combined the customer service desk, site to store pick-up location and photo lab in one area near the entrance. Customers now have easy access to these services, as well as associates on hand to help meet their needs.
Economic Impact Includes 350 New Jobs
The new Manassas Walmart will employ approximately 575 associates, including 350 new positions created by the relocation. More than 140 of the store’s associates have worked for Walmart for more than 10 years. Knepp is a Pennsylvania native who began her Walmart career in 1999 as a lawn and garden department manager at a store in Ocean City, Maryland.
Community Organizations Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of Walmart’s commitment to the communities in which it operates, $20,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation will be presented during the grand-opening celebration. A $10,000 grant will be presented to SERVE, Inc. to assist the local food pantry. Mother’s Against Drunk Driving, The Didlake Foundation, The Battlefield Lodge Charitable Foundation “Shop with A Cop” and Prince William County Public Schools will each receive $2,500 grants.
Store Design Incorporates Environmentally Friendly Features
The Manassas Walmart, like all new Walmart stores, includes energy-efficient technology and environmentally friendly features to reduce energy and water consumption and minimize waste. The store’s skylights harvest daylight and reduce the amount of energy required to light the store by up to 75 percent daily. LED lighting in the store operates 70 percent more efficiently than traditional fluorescent lighting.
The cement used in the concrete flooring is made with recycled materials, and the floor’s finish reduces the need for chemical cleaners. Low-flow toilets and faucets reduce the water used in the bathrooms. The new store also operates a recycling program and will promote sustainable product purchases.
Ribbon-Cutting Celebration 7 a.m., Oct. 28
Community and business leaders will join Walmart associates at 7 a.m. Wednesday for a brief ribbon-cutting ceremony. Store associate Darrel Pope will perform the national anthem, and members of the Stonewall Jackson High School Color Guard will present the colors. Knepp and other associates will cut the ribbon to the new store.
Every week, millions of customers visit Walmart stores, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Walmart (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $378 million to local communities in the United States.
- An invitation-only open house for grant recipients and other VIPs is scheduled from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 27. It will include preview tours and check presentations to representatives of community organizations. Reporters and photographers are welcome.
- Store Manager Georgia Knepp is available for interviews and to arrange photo opportunities or tours. She can be reached at 703-330-5253.
- Location: 8386 Sudley Road, Manassas, Va.
- 203,000-square-foot Walmart
- Store opens at 8 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 28, following a 7 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony
- Store manager: Georgia Knepp
- Open 6 a.m. until midnight, seven days a week
- Full line of groceries including a bakery, a deli serving fresh food and meal solutions for moms, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, beer and wine
- More than 30 merchandise departments such as apparel and accessories, a lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, and an expanded electronics department
- Convenience services include a pharmacy, vision center, digital photo processing center, Walmart Connect Center, and a MoneyCenter
- Leased areas and services include Dunkin’ Donuts and a branch of Woodforest bank
- $20,000 in grants from the Walmart Foundation to the following area organizations:
- Battlefield Lodge Charitable Foundation “Shop with A Cop”
- Didlake Foundation
- SERVE, Inc.
- Mother’s Against Drunk Driving
- Prince William County Public Schools
- Store plans to employ approximately 575 associates, including 350 positions created by the relocation
- The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Virginia is approximately $11.46 per hour*
- Walmart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include health insurance with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance
* Average wage taken February 2009. See www.walmartstores.com for details.
For more information
- Store manager: Georgia Knepp, 703-330-5253
- Walmart information online: www.walmartstores.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com
# # #