Kicks Off June with $100 Gift Card Offer with Purchase of ANY Blu-ray Player
Bentonville, Ark. (June 3, 2008) – Wal-Mart announced today that it has completed a redesign of its consumer electronics department in stores nationwide, adding hundreds of new consumer electronics models and features. In addition to new product assortment, recent design changes intend to help Wal-Mart customers also better understand the uses and options of many new products in the market, such as the addition of a “hi-def Blu-ray experience area” in 1,200 of its stores.
Details about these new enhancements to Wal-Mart’s electronics departments include:
- A more than 58 percent increase in assortment of full hi-def televisions (1080p) nationwide, with the introduction of new models and brands, such as Sharp, and an expansion in larger TV sizes;
- A new display center for computers with an expanded selection of accessories and ink, along with clear signage and better direction to showcase the right equipment for the right use – home, school or entertainment;
- A social gaming area of increased floor space for players of all ages to select their favorite live action rockstar game, and even play their favorite guitar ensemble right in the store,* plus a select area for reduced price games;
- An expanded selection of GPS, including touch screen displays in some stores and in all stores the addition of Magellan to the current GPS offerings of Garmin and TomTom;
- An increased assortment of Blu-ray, adding new players such as Magnavox, Samsung and Panasonic to its Sony line up, plus an increased selection of hi-def Blu-ray movies in their own designated area.
With these changes, Wal-Mart is making a commitment to help bring Blu-ray and the hi-def TV experience to families everywhere at unbeatable prices. To start, this weekend Wal-Mart is offering a $100 Wal-Mart gift card with the purchase of any Blu-ray player in its stores, June 8 through June 14. +
In addition, the retailer will have select Blu-ray movie titles for only $15 starting June 8, including movie favorites such as 3:10 to Yuma, WAR, Shooter, 300, and The Fifth Element.**
“We are excited to be a destination for families looking to create a high quality, affordable home entertainment experience with our new, wider selection of hi-def TVs, Blu-ray players and movies,” said Gary Severson, senior vice president, Home Entertainment, Wal-Mart.”
Among its new consumer electronics department changes, Wal-Mart also has increased its selection in digital photo frames; is offering more values in higher resolution cameras; and has lowered the price of prints in its Photo Services Center to $.15 per print for 100-plus prints. Wal-Mart Photo Services also continues to increase its selection of personalized items, many of which can be ordered with same-day service.
Wal-Mart stores also will carry new music products that represent the way many consumers enjoy their favorite music artists today, including a new assortment of players, downloadable music gift cards, digital album cards, fan membership gift cards, and cards for exclusive ring tones.
The retailer also continues to bring to fans exclusive music CDs and DVDs from their favorite artists. Today, Wal-Mart stores release a new music DVD of live performances from Jimmy Buffet for $10 and the awaited CD/DVD 3-pack from Journey that includes new music, past hits and a new concert performance for only $11.88.
+Similar offer also available on walmart.com for any purchase of a Blu-ray player or PS3 with a walmart.com gift card.
* Social gaming area for live-action play available in 800 stores.
**Selection of $15 Blu-ray movie titles available while supplies last.
About Wal-Mart Stores (NYSE: WMT)
Every week, millions of customers visit Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $296 million to local communities in the United States. More information about Wal-Mart can be found by visiting www.walmartstores.com. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com.