BENTONVILLE, Ark., Oct. 1, 2007 – With its annual list of the “Top 12 Toys of Christmas,” Wal-Mart announced today an added incentive for early holiday shopping – numerous, deep rollbacks on what the retailer considers to be the items on wish lists this year. Starting this week, Wal-Mart will announce rollbacks each week in this aggressive move to lead the market on holiday savings.
“Fulfilling her child’s wish list is always first in Mom’s mind, and right now she’s scouting the aisles to see what’s interesting, and what’s affordable,” said Chief Toy Officer Laura Phillips, Wal-Mart. “So we’re starting early and aggressively with unbeatable prices on the items we know are on those lists.”
This week, customers will begin to see price reductions from 10 to 50 percent on select toys. Select rollbacks to start include*:
New Savings Now:
- Tonka Trucks (choice in assortment) – was $27.44, now $19.76
- Kid Tough Digital Camera (Fisher Price) – was $64.88, now $54.88
- Spider-Man Ride-on - was $64.64, now $59.64
- Barbie Island Princess Styling Head - was $39.83, now $36.94
More Savings This Week:
- Littlest Pet Shop Digital Pets – was $12.84, now $9.97
- Razor Ripstik - was $93.93, now $77.77
- Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader game - was $18.96, now $12.88
- Fur Real Squawkers Parrot - was $69.96, now $54.88
- NASCAR Ride-on – was $199.97, now $177.72
“These items and our top 12 have our vote for the most interest, because we believe they meet all the right trends in activity, brand, play interaction, and technology which both parents and kids are after today,” said Phillips. “It’s now our turn to bring out their value, adding a great price to the hottest trends.”
Wal-Mart’s Top 12 Toys of Christmas
- Kid Tough Digital Camera from Fisher Price (Ages 3 & up) A real digital camera that’s tough enough–and easy enough–for kids to use.
- Smart Cycle from Fisher Price (Ages 3-6) It’s a stationary bike, a learning center, and an arcade game system—all rolled into one!
- Air Hogs Havoc Heli by Spinmaster (Ages 8 & up) An amazingly small, infrared, remote control helicopter, the Air Hogs Havoc features a durable, EPP foam body and a flashing Blue LED for night flying.
- Spider-Man 3 Movie Action Figure from Hasbro (Ages 3-7) Both in his classic red and blue gear and now new black costume, Spider-Man will continue to be a hero that saves the day, specially with his new web accessories.
- Little Mommy Real Loving Baby Doll from Mattel (Ages 18 months & up) Girls will love playing mommy with this sweet baby doll—she’s perfect for your child’s first doll.
- New Elmo from Fisher Price (Ages 18 months & up) He’s back on the list to tickle your funny bone. Find out why and what’s new in November!
- Littlest Pet Shop Paws Off Electronic Diary from Hasbro (Ages 6 & up) Keep all your written secrets locked inside this voice-activated, electronic diary!
- Ripstik Caster Board (Ages 6 & up) A cross between a skateboard and a snowboard, this high-action new sport is taking the streets by storm!
- Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader game from Hasbro (Ages 8 & up) Based on the popular game show, this enjoyable diversion features Jeff Foxworthy and five students putting ordinary adults to the test by having them answer real questions from the 5th-grade curriculum.
- Hannah Montana Fashion Collection from Play Along (Ages 5 & up) Transform the girl-next-door to Pop Princess. Choose from a variety of assortments that come with Hannah Montana doll, a super cute extra outfit, shoes and accessories.
- Power Tour Electric Guitar by Hasbro (Ages 10 & up) Be the rock star and learn to play six different rock classics. Connect to your MP3 player and strum along, or rock out solo and compose your own anthem.
- FurReal Squawkers Parrot from Hasbro – (Ages 5-7) Talk about cool! Squawkers McCaw is a talkin’, squawkin’ and totally unpredictable play pal.
“You really can’t go wrong with any of these toys,” said Phillips. “We have re-arranged our selection in the aisles to make shopping a little easier, with identification on popular brands and top toys. As a constant Mom wants price, convenience and safety, and with our Toy Safety Net program underway, we feel confident delivering on all three this upcoming holiday season.”
*Price in some markets may be lower than listed in this release.
About Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT)
Every week, millions of customers visit Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $270 million to local communities in the United States. To learn more, visit www.walmartfacts.com, www.walmartstores.com, or www.walmartfoundation.org.