BENTONVILLE, Ark. – March 20, 2007 – Wal-Mart is known for being a one-stop destination for a variety of consumer needs but … true love? In celebration of today’s Proposal Day, the retailer provides couples extra incentive to get down on one knee with its Lucky in Love Weddings Search. On July 7, (7/7/07), one of the most sought-after wedding dates in recent years, Wal-Mart and G Squared, a Wal-Mart exclusive brand from Gartner Studios, will give seven betrothed couples wedding ceremony and reception packages at local Wal-Mart Supercenters in the lawn and garden areas.
Experts anticipate that more than twice as many weddings will take place on 7/7/07 than on the corresponding weekend in 2006(1)—and that means that many would-be-brides are finding most venues and vendors booked solid. Recognizing the dilemma, Wal-Mart is offering seven couples a lucky solution – everything they need to make their day special, memorable and unique.
“The popularity of 7/7/07 can be attributed to the symbolism associated with the number seven,” said Kathi Mishek, vice president for Gartner Studios. “Both Gartner Studios and Wal-Mart appreciate that this is a major day in couples’ lives and we’re proud to be able to share in these celebrations.”
Wal-Mart is no stranger to love and has a rich history of making connections. Not only have store associates fallen in love while stocking shelves side-by-side, but many shoppers have met, reunited or simply strengthened their relationships in stores. And 7/7/07 won’t be the first time that brides and grooms have marched down the Wal-Mart aisles into wedded bliss; local lawn and garden areas have provided a vibrant backdrop for a variety “I do’s” over the years for those who have “found love” at Wal-Mart.
The seven couples selected to walk down the wedding aisle at Wal-Mart will also receive a Wedding Package with an estimated value of more than $5,000. This packet not only includes the decorated wedding venue in Wal-Mart’s colorful lawn and garden area surrounded by the season’s bright foliage, but also an adjacent tent for the reception area, wedding cake and party food.
The selected seven Lucky in Love Wedding Search couples will receive a Wedding Package that includes the wedding ceremony and reception venues, bride and groom 14kt gold and diamond wedding bands, wedding invitation package, wedding and groom’s cakes, fresh floral bouquets, digital cameras and digital photo frame, portable GPS, reception food and $1,000 Wal-Mart gift card. (See below for Wedding Package details.)
“We understand that life’s full of celebrations for our customers and we want to help those times be memorable,” said John Fleming, Wal-Mart executive vice president and chief merchandising officer. “We’re excited to provide solutions for these couples who will allow us to be a part of this major moment in their lives.”
Considering that the average American wedding costs a whopping $22,000(2) and requires multiple trips to various vendors, the betrothed will be delighted to save money and time at Wal-Mart. What’s more, the retailer’s registry, available in stores and online at Walmart.com, caters to thousands of couples every month and offers a wide selection for a new husband and wife to start their life together, from the Stainless Steel Hamilton Beach 6-Qt Slow Cooker to the Polaroid 32" Widescreen LCD HDTV and Canon DC100 DVD Camcorder.
For Lucky in Love Wedding Search registration and information, couples may log onto www.walmart.com/giftregistry and click on the Lucky in Love link that will connect you to the G Squared/Gartner Studios entry information asking for a brief love story essay. Couples may also register by mailing information to: Lucky in Love Contest, c/o Gartner Studios, 220 E. Myrtle St., Stillwater, Minn., 55082.
Each selected Lucky in Love Wedding Package will include:
• An in-store wedding location in the Wal-Mart lawn and garden area of their local Supercenter with décor provided by G Squared, accommodating up to 77 guests
• An adjacent reception tent for wedding party and up to 77 guests
• Bride’s 14kt Keepsake genuine Diamond band – 11 diamonds (1/8 ct. total weight) set in 14kt gold band, courtesy of Keepsake and provided with a Keepsake Certificate of Authenticity and free sizing
• Groom’s 14kt Keepsake genuine Diamond band – three diamonds (1/10 ct. total weight) set in 14kt gold band, courtesy of Keepsake and provided with a Keepsake Certificate of Authenticity and free sizing
• Wedding invitation package featuring 100 invitations and envelopes, 100 thank you cards and envelopes, 100 half-fold program paper and two white place cards, courtesy of G Squared/Gartner Studios
• Custom-made, three-tiered wedding cake, courtesy of Best Brands and Bakery Crafts
• Custom-made groom’s cake, courtesy of Best Brands and Bakery Crafts
• Fresh floral bouquets for the bride and up to seven bridesmaids, courtesy of Vistaflor
• Fresh floral boutonnieres for the groom and up to seven groomsmen, courtesy of Vistaflor
• Digital camera for the bride – the sleek, iridescent pink i733LP with 3x optical zoom and 7 mega pixels by Polaroid
• Digital camera for the groom – Samsung’s easy operation black L73 with smart touch controls, 7 mega pixels and 3x optical zoom
• Digital photo frame – perfect for displaying wedding photos, providing a quality format for sharing hundreds of photos from a digital media card all in one frame, courtesy of Polaroid
• Portable GPS (Global Positioning System) – Garmin 350 Portable GPS Navigator, a traveler’s reference, entertainment system with MP3 player and GPS navigator combined for the car or to carry with you anywhere you go on your honeymoon and life’s journey
• Bride dress centerpieces for reception tables, courtesy of G Squared/Gartner Studios
• Prima Della distinct assorted meat party trays for reception, courtesy of Triad
• Prima Della assorted rich cheese tray for reception, courtesy of La Grander Hillside Dairy
• Prima Della appetizing assorted cheese party tray for reception, courtesy of Saputo
• Customized party submarine or sandwich/party sub ring for reception, courtesy of West Liberty and Strictly from Scratch
• Chicken combo platters or chicken tender trays for reception, courtesy of Pilgrims Pride
• Large shrimp ring trays with cocktail sauce, courtesy of Suram Trading
• Fresh veggie and condiment trays, courtesy of Triad
• A Wal-Mart gift card in the amount of $1,000 to help the couple get a great start and live better after the wedding
About Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT)
Every week, more than 127 million customers visit Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam’s Club locations across America or log on to its online store at www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $245 million to local communities in the United States. To learn more, visit www.walmartfacts.com, www.walmartstores.com, or www.walmartfoundation.org.
About G Squared/Gartner Studios
Founded in 1998, G Squared/Gartner Studios is a creative design studio and stationery company based out of the river town of Stillwater, Minnesota. The headquarters are located in the historic 100 year old Stillwater Post Office building. G Squared branded products are sold exclusively through Wal-Mart stores nationwide.
With office locations now in multiple U.S. states and countries, Gartner Studios has grown due to a focus on great designs, high quality manufacturing, attractive pricing and an entrepreneurial spirit. As we like to say, it’s about "ideas, products & people!"
Gartner Studios currently provides stationery products, print-your-own products and related categories for all major mass merchants, party suppliers and office super stores. Our products can also be found online at most major online retailers, as well as through our own store, www.gartnerstudios.com/shop.
(2)National Association of Wedding Ministers
(1)More than 31,000 couples who plan to wed on 7/7/07 have signed up on the wedding Web site TheKnot.com—that’s already more than 20,000 the number of couples who married on the corresponding weekend in 2006, according to the New York Times