BENTONVILLE, Ark., November 21, 2006 – Wal-Mart today announced additional rollbacks on hundreds of fresh and dry grocery items just two days before Thanksgiving and days after slashing prices on top kitchen appliances. Rolling back the savings on selections ranging from favorite holiday hors doeuvres and savory meats to decadent chocolates, this is the fifth set in a series of price cuts on thousands of key holiday entertaining and gift items – and a continuation of Wal-Mart’s commitment to offering holiday solutions at the best prices.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the average American family of four spends at least $632 each month on groceries, and a delicious Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings can fatten November’s tab. Fortunately, at Wal-Mart, shoppers will discover rollbacks on hundreds of food items, with many discounted as much as 20 percent.
“The holiday season is about spending time with family and friends, and many of those gatherings are focused around food,” says Bruce Peterson, Wal-Mart Stores senior vice president for the perishable food division. “Wal-Mart wants to help our customers have the holiday meals and get-togethers they’ll remember at an affordable price.”
Featured food items, rolled back through the holiday season, include the following:
- Pilgrims Pride®/Tyson™/ Perdue® Fresh Fryer Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast*, 26.4 oz. pack (was $5.35/now $4.74 – was $3.24 per lb./now $2.87 per lb.)
- Louis Rich® Chicken Breast Strips, 6 oz. (was $2.87-3.27/now $2.50)
- Smithfield™ St. Louis Ribs with Barbecue Sauce**, 39 oz. pkg. (was $11.45/now $9.98 – was $4.70 per lb/ now $4.09 per lb)
- Select Hillshire Farm Litl Smokies® Assortment, 14-16 oz. (was $3.28-3.38/now
- 2 for $5.00)
- Stove Top® Stuffing, 6 oz. (was $1.44-1.74/now $0.88)
- Ocean Spray® Cranberry Sauce, 16 oz. can (was $1.14-1.36/now $0.88)
- Betty Crocker® Potato Assortment, 7.2 oz. (was $1.23-1.43/now $.98)
- Daisy® Sour Cream, 16 oz. (was $1.74/now $1.50)
- General Mills Chex® Cereal, 15.6-16 oz. (were $2.78 each/now 3 boxes for $7.00)
- Planters® Deluxe Mixed Nuts or Whole Cashews, 21-oz. can (was $6.94/now $5.97)
- Keebler® Town House® Toppers Cracker Assortment, 13.5 oz. (was $2.50/now $2.00)
- 7 UP®, 2 liter bottle (was $1.08/now $0.77)
- Hersheys® Giant Chocolate Bar Assortment (was $1.64/now $1.25)
Holiday shoppers will be thrilled to discover deeper discounts on even more merchandise with each trip to Wal-Mart, which has promised to continue rolling back prices throughout the season.
Every week, more than 176 million customers visit Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, Sam’s Clubs or a subsidiary location in 13 countries around the world. In each of the countries where Wal-Mart operates, the company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of operating globally and giving back locally. Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $270 million to local communities in the U.S. To learn more, visit www.walmartfacts.com, www.walmart.com or www.walmartfoundation.org.
* Regional brands may vary.
**Available in select markets.