Including the largest garden center of any area Wal-Mart, new store provides added benefit of new jobs, grants and tax revenues to North Las Vegas area
LAS VEGAS, Nov. 1, 2006 – Turkey, toys, trees and tires – North Las Vegas residents can find almost anything they need at the newest Wal-Mart Supercenter opening in North Las Vegas on Nov. 8. Conveniently located near Interstate 215, the new store will provide one-stop shopping convenience, 550 planned new jobs and more than $35,000 in grants to local civic and charitable organizations. It will feature Wal-Mart’s latest interior designs and merchandise, and boasts the largest lawn and garden center of any Supercenter in the Las Vegas area. The store is located at 6464 N. Decatur Road.
Expanded Store Features and New Conveniences
Right away, customers at the new store will notice the stone façade and pillars on the front of the building, an unusual design feature for Wal-Mart stores. According to Store Manager Shawn Shue, the store’s interior contains several new designs as well, such as visible navigational signage, wider aisles, lower shelves and vinyl-wood floors. In addition, the store’s expanded electronics section showcases popular brand names in home electronics, computers, iPods and high-definition televisions. The store’s spacious lawn and garden center offers a third entrance, added checkout lanes and drive-through service. At 20,000 square feet, it contains a variety of outdoor living needs from furnishings and gardening supplies, to a wide variety of plants and landscaping décor.
The new 208,000-square-foot Wal-Mart Supercenter features a full line of groceries as well as a bakery, a delicatessen, a frozen food section, meat, dairy and fresh produce sections, as well as an expanded selection of organic food items. The store has 36 general merchandise departments including apparel and accessories, fine jewelry, and health and beauty aids. It will be open to customers 24 hours a day, seven days a week and will include 16 full-service, eight express and four self-checkout lanes. The store will also have a Tire & Lube Express, a Sonic restaurant, a portrait studio, a SmartStyle hair salon, a Da Vi nail salon, a one-hour photo lab, a vision center, a pharmacy, liquor sales and will feature AMS Insurance.
Just in time for the holiday and Christmas seasons, the new store will open with Wal-Mart’s “Toyland,” featuring the hottest toys at the coolest prices. Customers will be able to fill any child’s wish list with everything from classic favorites such as Baby Alive, digital and electronic toys and board games, to plush toy characters.
More than $35,000 in Local Grants
The new Supercenter will announce $35,500 in donations this week to several civic and charitable organizations. Lowman Elementary School, whose students are in kindergarten through second grade, serves a large at-risk population and is receiving a $10,000 grant. “Many of our kids need a helping hand,” said Kathy Konowalow, the school’s principal. “With this grant, we are going to be able to provide school supplies, reading materials, field trips and help to families that need food, medicine and clothing. Thank you, Wal-Mart, on behalf of our staff, students and their families.” Every Wal-Mart store provides grants to community groups at its grand opening and throughout the year. Organizations interested in receiving funding can contact the store for details.
Supercenter Plans 550 New Jobs
As of Oct. 20, more than 1,500 applications had been received for the 550 new jobs planned for the North Las Vegas Supercenter. The average hourly wage for full-time Wal-Mart associates in the Las Vegas area is $10.62 an hour, said Shue. Seventeen of the new store’s associates have worked for Wal-Mart for more than 10 years, he added.
While the majority of positions are full time, Wal-Mart benefits are available to both full- and part-time associates -- including healthcare insurance with no lifetime maximum. Wal-Mart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, performance-based bonuses, discounted stock purchase program and life insurance.
Economic Impact – Local and State
Including new jobs, the store will provide the added benefit of sales tax revenues to the area. In the fiscal year ending 2006, Wal-Mart collected on behalf of the state of Nevada more than $11.5 million in sales taxes and paid more than $10.7 million in state and local taxes.
As of September 2006, Wal-Mart employed 12,584 associates in the state of Nevada, and owned and operated the following facilities in the state:
- Supercenters: 18
- Discount Stores: 6
- Neighborhood Markets: 10
- Sam’s Clubs: 5
- Distribution Centers: 2
EDITOR’S NOTE: See www.walmartfacts.com for more information about Wal-Mart in Nevada.
Grand Opening Ceremony Details
The 7:30 a.m. grand opening ceremony will be open to the public. Stephanie Smith, daughter of Carla Devlin, a Wal-Mart associate at the Supercenter on South Rainbow Road, will perform the national anthem. The ROTC unit from Shadow Ridge High School will present the colors, and members of the North Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce will cut the ribbon to the new store. Shadow Ridge High School’s band and cheerleaders will also perform at the ceremony. Other grand opening day events include a Pepsi Photo Shoot from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m., and Gladiator Goddess from 2 p.m. until 4 p.m. On grand opening day, the store will feature a Coca-Cola Football Toss, the Cheerios Race Car and a fire truck from Las Vegas Fire and Rescue. Pepsi and Coca-Cola will each have a hot dog cart at the store Nov. 8 through Nov. 12. The Full Throttle Off-Road Buggy will be at the store all day Nov. 11 and Nov. 12.
About Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT)
Every week, more than 176 million customers visit Wal-Mart stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, Sam’s Clubs or a subsidiary location in 15 countries around the world. In each of the countries where Wal-Mart operates, the company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of operating globally and giving back locally. Wal-Mart is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $270 million to these local communities. To learn more, visit www.walmartfacts.com, www.walmart.com or www.walmartfoundation.org.
- The store will host an invitation-only preview night on Monday, Nov. 6, at 6:30 p.m. Reporters and photographers are welcome.
- Shawn Shue, store manager, can provide details about the grand opening, offer quotes for interviews and arrange for photo opportunities. He can be contacted at (702) 515-7050.
*Average wage taken yearly (December 2005). See www.walmartfacts.com for more details.
North Las Vegas Wal-Mart Supercenter
Store fast facts
- Location: 6464 N. Decatur Blvd., Las Vegas
- 208,000-square-foot Wal-Mart Supercenter
- Store opening 8 a.m., Wednesday, Nov. 8; 7:30 a.m. grand opening ceremony
- Store manager: Shawn Shue
$35,500 in charitable contributions to 17 area organizations
- Anthony Saville Middle School
- Arbor View High School
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Las Vegas
- Canyon Springs High School
- City of Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
- City of North Las Vegas Fire Department
- City of North Las Vegas Police Department
- Clark County Safe Kids Coalition
- Gounes Elementary School
- Kitty Ward Elementary School
- Las Vegas Fire and Rescue Charitable Organization
- Legacy High School
- Lowman Elementary School
- North Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce
- Shadow Ridge High School
- Southern Nevada Junior Golf Association
- The Shade Tree
- Full line of groceries, bakery goods, deli foods, frozen foods, meat and dairy products and fresh produce, organic products, apparel and accessories, fine jewelry, lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, full line of electronics, Tire & Lube Express, Sonic restaurant, portrait studio, SmartStyle hair salon, Da Vi nail salon, one-hour photo lab, vision center, pharmacy, liquor sales, AMS Insurance
- Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Sixteen full-service, eight express and four self-checkout lanes
- Total planned employment is 550; 1,500 applications received
- Wal-Mart has created more than 240,000 new jobs over the past three years in the United States.
- The average wage at Wal-Mart for full-time hourly associates in the Las Vegas area is $10.62 per hour.*
- Wal-Mart benefits – available to full- and part-time associates – include healthcare insurance with no lifetime maximum. Wal-Mart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, performance-based bonuses, discounted stock purchase program and life insurance.
- Approximately 76 percent of Wal-Mart store managers began their careers as hourly associates.
* Average wage taken December 2005. See www.walmartfacts.com for details.
For more information
- Store manager: Shawn Shue, (702) 515-7050
- Wal-Mart information online: www.walmartfacts.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com