and Introduces Magical Characters at the 2006 Toy Wishes Holiday Preview
BENTONVILLE, Ark., October 4, 2006–Boasting life-like dolls, adventurous ride-on vehicles and advanced digital games, the 2006 holiday season is chock-full of thrilling toys. And Wal-Mart, the world’s leading toy retailer, is the place for the hottest toys at the coolest prices, allowing shoppers to get and give more. This week, Wal-Mart releases its predictions for the top 12 toys of the season as it provides a sneak peak into its in-store “Toyland” at the fifth annual Toy Wishes Holiday Preview in New York. Additionally, Wal-Mart introduces delightful namesake characters Wally & Marty, “renegade” elves, which will soon be synonymous with holiday spirit.
Top 12 Toys of Christmas and Holidays ‘06
Wal-Mart’s list of top 12 toys reflects the most prevalent trends in the industry, including high-tech digital toys, imaginative toys, experiential toys, characters that come to life and the modernization of classic favorites. The top 12 toys for Christmas and Holidays 2006 are:
- Monopoly® Here & Now™ Edition from Hasbro® ($28.96) – Ages 8 and up
- Zoombox™ ($248) – For kids of all ages
- V.Flash™ Edutainment System from VTech® ($99.77) – Ages 6 -10
- BABY ALIVE® doll from Hasbro® ($49.97) – Ages 3 and up
- Power Wheels® Ford Mustang from Fisher-Price® ($249.94), red Mustang available exclusively at Wal-Mart and Walmart.com – Ages 3 and up
- TMX™ Elmo from Fisher-Price® ($39.97) – Ages 18 months and up
- Kid-Tough™ Digital Camera from Fisher-Price® ($59.88) – Ages 3 and up
- ESPN® Fast Action Football™ from Fisher-Price® ($198.88) – Ages 6 and up
- “BARBIE™ IN THE 12 DANCING PRINCESSES” PRINCESS GENEVIEVE™ DOLL™ from Mattel® ($16.88) – Ages 3 and up
- Bratz™ Forever Diamondz™: Vinessa ($19.97), available exclusively at Wal-Mart and Walmart.com – Ages 6 and up
- Littlest Pet Shop Virtual Pet (Dog or Cat) from Hasbro® ($12.84) – Ages 6 and up
- Hot Wheels® Radar Gun from Mattel® ($29.74) – Ages 7 and up
“Wal-Mart is committed to offering the most imaginative and innovative toys during the holiday season and year-round,” says Scott McCall, Vice President and Divisional Merchandise Manager of toys at Wal-Mart. “We stay on top of trends year-round and offer a one-stop destination to find the hottest toys at a great value.”
Wally & Marty
This Holiday for the first time ever, Wal-Mart introduces Wally & Marty, a pair of 3-D animated elves. These "renegade elves" have started their own business, Toyland, a magical place where Wal-Marts most innovative toys are tested, built and delivered. Wally & Marty are Wal-Marts "guardians of amazing toys" and will come to life for children this season through animated cinema and television advertisements, a comic book, various print executions and the highly interactive www.walmart.com/toyland microsite, where children can build a "Toyland Wishlist" of their favorite toys.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets and SAMS CLUB locations in the United States. Internationally, the company operates in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, and the United Kingdom. The companys securities are listed on the New York and Pacific stock exchanges under the symbol WMT. More information about Wal-Mart can be found by visiting www.walmartfacts.com. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com.