BENTONVILLE, ARK. August 29, 2006 -- Wal-Mart today announced that it is airing two television advertisements as part of a continued effort to inform the public about the transformation underway at the company.
The spots highlight the company’s positive impact on communities, including its core values, affordable health care, customer savings, and charitable contributions.
“This is part of Wal-Mart’s ongoing effort to talk about our commitment to the men and women who work for us, to the customers who shop at our stores, and to the communities we serve,” said Bob McAdam, vice president of Corporate Affairs. “The more people learn about who we are and how we strive to do better every day, the more they know that we are good for America’s working families.”
Wal-Mart associates featured in the advertisements speak to the company’s values and facts about its transformation:
- Wal-Mart’s low prices save the average working family more than $2,300 a year;
- Wal-Mart creates tens of thousands of jobs per year;
- Wal-Mart offers eligible associates health insurance for less than a dollar a day ($23 per month);
- Wal-Mart moved more than 150,000 uninsured Americans into a company-sponsored insurance plan;
- Wal-Mart is one of the largest corporate contributors to local charities in America.
At the June shareholder’s meeting, Wal-Mart CEO Lee Scott called the company’s transformation, “Wal-Mart Out In Front.” It is an effort to remain true to the values that built Wal-Mart over the last 44 years, while also changing to be an even stronger business and an even better company.
Wal-Mart in Nebraska in 2006
- As of August, Wal-Mart employed 10,339 associates in Nebraska.
- Wal-Mart also supports 36,530 supplier jobs throughout the state, as a result of our relationship with 638 suppliers.
- Wal-Mart collected, on behalf of the state, more than $78.0 million in sales taxes.
- Wal-Mart paid more than $11.1 million in state and local taxes.
- Wal-Mart contributed and raised more than $2.2 million to local causes and organizations throughout Nebraska’s communities.
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. operates Wal-Mart discount stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets and SAM’S CLUB locations in the United States. The company has operations in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, South Korea and the United Kingdom. The company’s securities are listed on the New York Stock Exchange and NYSE Arca, formerly the Pacific Stock Exchange, under the symbol WMT. More information about Wal-Mart can be found by visiting www.walmartfacts.com. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com.