New apparel and baby formula available for parents looking for value and a “naturally” great selectionBENTONVILLE, Ark., April 13, 2006 – As consumer demand for organic products grows, Wal-Mart is expanding its organic baby product lineup. New additions to the retailer’s organic infant offerings are George Baby Organic Cotton apparel and Parent’s Choice® ORGANIC Infant Formula, both found exclusively at Wal-Mart. These products join Gerber Tender Harvest organic baby food already on shelves.
“We hope to make these products accessible to parents who might not have chosen organic in the past due to cost or availability,” says Beth Schommer, Wal-Mart’s divisional merchandise manager for infants and toddlers.
In fact, a recent survey commissioned by Wal-Mart found that 60 percent of parents are interested in organic options for their infants. Additionally, 74 percent said they would be more likely to purchase organic products for their infants if they were more readily available or more affordable.
“Moms spend untold hours researching products such as formula and clothing for their babies,” says Stephanie Gallagher, editor of TheShoppingMom.com and author of The Gallagher Guide to the Baby Years: The Real Moms’ Survey of Top-Rated Products and Advice. “My research has shown that moms are increasingly savvy on environmental issues and are very interested in organic infant products.”
Wal-Mart’s expanded organic product offering will provide parents with more options for their infants:
• Parent’s Choice® ORGANIC Infant Formula is the first organic infant formula available at a mass retailer. A wholesome alternative for parents who choose formula, Parent’s Choice is the first organic infant formula containing the lipids DHA and ARA, nutrients found naturally in mother’s milk proven to aid in infant brain and eye development.
• Wal-Mart George Baby Organic cotton clothing will be introduced in May 2006 and includes rompers, dresses, t-shirts and shorts for infants ages 0-9 months. The apparel is made with 100 percent certified organic cotton and features a flower and garden theme for girls and a playful jungle animal theme for boys.
• Gerber Tender Harvest organic baby food is currently sold at Wal-Mart stores and is available for babies in three stages:
- 1st Foods: Puréed, single-ingredient fruits and vegetables with just the right consistency to help babies learn to swallow solid food
– 2nd Foods: Adventurous multi-ingredient combinations for older babies
– 3rd Foods: Unique varieties with just the right texture for babies learning to chew and mash
About Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. operates Wal-Mart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets and SAM’S CLUB locations in the United States. Internationally, the company operates in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South Korea and the United Kingdom. The company’s securities are listed on the New York and Pacific stock exchanges under the symbol WMT. More information about Wal-Mart can be found by visiting www.walmartfacts.com. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmartfacts.com. Online merchandise sales are available at www.walmart.com.
# # #