Smart and Sustainable
Reflects Walmart’s leadership in environmental sustainability through a high-efficiency design within the native geographical landscape.
We were among the first global companies to add environmental sustainability and social responsibility as core elements of our business strategy in 2005. These shared values have become increasingly important as we position ourselves to win the future of retail and hire and retain top talent. We’ve transformed our stores and trucking fleet, invested in the communities where we operate and encouraged our suppliers to improve their products and operations. While we’ve received recognition for such ambitions and accomplishments, our current Home Office simply does not evoke a connection to these values. With our new campus, we have a unique opportunity to create a space and culture that embodies our vision for a sustainable world, while providing a winning and inspirational work environment.
Walmart’s sustainability efforts prioritize people and the planet by aiming to source responsibly, eliminate waste and emissions, sell sustainable products and protect and restore nature. Our goals for the campus align with Walmart’s commitment to become a regenerative company in a variety of ways, including:
- 15+ acres of lakes for stormwater collection for smart irrigation, wildlife habitat, rainwater reuse and more
- Native and drought-tolerant plants to minimize the need for excessive watering
- Solar-ready rooftops on parking decks and select buildings
- Daylight and views from all office floors and active design throughout buildings, incorporating prominent interconnected stairs and trails
- Regionally sourced materials, including mass timber construction
- A central utility plan with energy-efficient cooling towers and heat recovery chillers
- Electric vehicle (EV) charging stations to promote low-emission commuting options
- An LED lighting strategy throughout the campus to take advantage of the most energy-efficient fixtures available
The landscape design will reflect the complex mosaic of native habitats found throughout the Northwest Arkansas region and the distinct culture that has been an integral part of Walmart’s history. It encourages interaction between Walmart associates, the Bentonville community and the physical environment to reinforce sustainable living and holistic well-being.
We will demonstrate locally what we are committed to globally.
The journey continues here: walmart.com/newhomeoffice.