As we continue to focus on new ways to serve customers, Walmart has acquired Parcel, a technology-based, same-day and last-mile delivery company based in New York. Here are the key facts about the deal:
What we announced
- Walmart has acquired Parcel, a technology-based, last-mile delivery service that specializes in perishable and non-perishable delivery to customers in New York City.
- As a 24/7 operation that delivers packages the same-day, overnight and in scheduled two-hour windows, Parcel uses routing algorithms, a fleet of leased vehicles, and a professional, employee-based workforce, to quickly sort, load and deliver packages to customers.
- The acquisition price was not disclosed, though it was smaller than previous acquisitions we’ve made this year.
- The deal closed on September 29, 2017.
What it means
- We plan to leverage Parcel for last mile delivery to customers in New York City – including same-day delivery – for both general merchandise as well as fresh and frozen groceries from Walmart and Jet.
- Also, Parcel will continue servicing its current clients and adding others, operating from its New York City headquarters where it can accelerate and scale over time.