Walmart's Return Policy
Our goal is to satisfy our customers by exchange, refund, or repair, as outlined in this policy. For items purchased on walmart.com, please see the walmart.com return policy.
As an added convenience for customers, Walmart has adjusted its return policy for the holiday gift buying season for items that have a limited return/exchange period (15 days, 30 days, etc.). For these items purchased between Nov. 1 and Dec. 24, the limited return period will begin Dec. 26. This includes items such as TVs, cameras, computers, DVD and music players that can have a 15-30 day return period.
Is there a time limit on returns?
Generally, we accept returns within 90 days after purchase. There are a few exceptions, including, but not limited to, these examples, to the 90-day rule:
- Computers, camcorders, digital cameras, digital music players, e-tablets, e-readers, portable video players, GPS units, video game hardware, pre-paid cell phones, and post-paid cell phones must be returned within 15 days with a receipt.
- Airbeds returned within 15 days with a receipt that are not defective and have been opened or used will only be exchanged for an airbed of equal or greater value.
- Defective airbeds will be exchanged for an airbed of equal or greater value within 90 days of purchase.
- Swimming pools, lawn mowers, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, chainsaws, air conditioners, power washers, compressors, and generators must be returned within 30 days with a receipt to obtain a refund or exchange.
- Pre-recorded movies, music, and computer/video game software and circuit cartridges must be returned within 90 days in the original and unopened packaging with a receipt to receive a refund or exchange.
- If the above-referenced items are defective, they can be returned within 90 days with a receipt and the original packaging. Defective units may be exchanged for another unit of the same title.
- Defective pre-owned (refurbished) video game software can be returned within 90 days with a receipt and the original packaging. Defective units may be exchanged for another unit of a different title if original title is not available.
- All perennials, trees and shrubs must be returned within 1 year with a receipt to obtain a refund or exchange.
Do you accept returns without a receipt?
Walmart, for several years, has accepted returns without a receipt, even though many of our competitors require receipts for all returns. Walmart gives customers the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25) or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer’s warranties.
Do you track returns, or do you place a limit on the number of returns?
In the event that a customer has returned more than three items without receipts within a 45-day period, the cash register system will automatically flag the transaction, and a customer service manager or member of management must approve the return. These cash register messages will remain for six months and will disappear if there are no more returns during that time period.