Walmart Associates Explain our Company Culture
Our CultureSam Walton founded Walmart with the strong conviction that a retailer could help people save money and live better. That continues to be why we're in business today -- it's our purpose. Our culture is how we work together to fulfill that purpose. It's incorporated into every aspect of our business.
Our beliefs are the foundation of our culture: service to our customers, respect for the individual, striving for excellence and acting with integrity. Our adherence to these principles has created a unique work culture at Walmart. No matter where you go — to any of our stores and offices in any of our brands around the world — our associates live these values.
- Service to our customers
- Respect for the individual
- Strive for excellence
- Act with integrity
Service to Our Customers
Every associate — from our CEO to our hourly associates in local stores — is reminded daily that our customers are why we’re here. We do our best every day to provide the greatest possible level of service to everyone we come in contact with.
- Serve our customers by making them our first priority.
- Support our associates so they can best serve our customers.
- Give to the local community in ways that connect to our customers.
Respect for the Individual
From Walmart’s earliest days as a small discount store, we have emphasized the importance of respect for every associate, every customer and every member of the community.
- Value and recognize the contributions of every associate.
- Own what we do with a sense of urgency, and empower each other to do the same.
- Communicate by listening to all associates and sharing ideas and information.
Striving for Excellence
The key to our success is constantly looking for ways to improve ourselves and improve our business. We strive to lead not just our industry, but also each other to the next level of success.
- Innovate by trying new ways of doing things and improving every day.
- Model a positive example as we pursue high expectations.
Work as a team by helping each other and asking for help.
Act with Integrity
Our beliefs are built on a foundation of integrity — our values of honesty, fairness and objectivity guide how we apply these beliefs to the workplace. We strive to:
- Be honest by telling the truth and keeping our word.
- Be fair and open when dealing with associates, suppliers and other stakeholders.
- Be objective by making decisions based solely on Walmart's interests while operating in compliance with all laws and our policies.