Canada

media-images-other-zellers-walmart-canada-store_130138098155198518_752x206.jpg

Walmart Canada

Walmart Canada was established in 1994 and has headquarters in Mississauga, Ontario. Store formats include Walmart Supercentres and Walmart discount stores.

President & CEO: Shelley Broader

Websitewalmartcanada.ca



Social Responsibility


Helping Canadian families in need

Our commitment to helping families in need starts at the local level, and we have a proud history of strengthening the more than 300 communities we serve through charitable partnerships and initiatives. Since 1994, we've raised and donated more than C$185 million for Canadian charities and nonprofit organizations. In 2012 alone, C$14.2 million was raised and C$8.6 million donated to help Canadian families in need.


National charity partners

media-images-other-breakfast-clubs-of-canada-graphic_130138094377265875_194x172.png

Children's Miracle Network
We contributed C$8.3 million in 2012 and more than C$76 million since 1994 to help ensure excellence in care for the more than 4,900 Canadian kids who go through the doors of a children's hospital each day.

Breakfast Clubs of Canada
We raised and donated C$3 million in 2012 and more than C$20 million since 2006 to support 1,215 BCC programs nationwide. 

Canadian Red Cross (CRC)
We raised and donated more than C$2.8 million in 2012 and more than C$21 million since 2003. In 2012 alone, CRC responded to 2,321 disasters, and more than 46,719 people were directly assisted following various emergencies and disasters across the country. 

Evergreen
We have contributed more than C$4.9 million to the Evergreen/Walmart Green Grant program and have supported 433 projects since 2005. Evergreen serves as a leading national funder and facilitator of local, sustainable greening projects in schoolyards, parks and communities across Canada. 

media-images-other-canada-childrens-miracle-network-graphic_130138092272808389_204x171.png


Walmart Walk for Miracles

The Walmart Walk for Miracles is our signature charitable event, raising millions of dollars for Children's Miracle Network. This year marks the 10th annual walk, which will be held consecutively in 12 cities from coast-to-coast, including: Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Saskatoon, St. John's, Toronto, Vancouver and Winnipeg.

Community investment

In 2012, we contributed to the Canadian economy with C$17.7 billion in payments to 4,985 Canadian suppliers and service providers. One example is Mabel's Labels, a woman-owned business whose personalized "labels for the stuff kids lose," was recently introduced at our stores across the country. Founded in 2003 by four moms in a residential basement, it has become a multimillion-dollar business based in Hamilton, Ontario.


Environmental Responsibility

media-images-other-canada-supercube-trailer-truck_130138103815930489_300x190.JPG

Supercube trailer

In 2012, our transportation team wanted to find a way to transport more goods to stores, while using fewer trucks to reduce our environmental impact. The result was the launch of a one-year pilot program involving a supercube trailer. Each trailer was designed to carry 40% more goods – 30% in the trailer and 10% in a new dromedary box – which translates into significantly fewer trips from warehouses to stores. If the pilot succeeds and is implemented across Walmart Canada, we have the potential to reduce delivery trips by 3,000 per year.

Waste reduction and energy efficiency

Our waste diversion rate was 76% in 2012, and we're actively working in collaboration with municipalities to find solutions for the remaining 24%. We're testing renewable energy sources, including wind, solar, geothermal and hydrogen fuel cells, at our stores and distribution centers. We recently retrofitted the overhead sales floor lighting at our North Brampton store to LED, and the stores we're building today are 30% more energy efficient, compared to our 2005 baseline.


Corporate Responsibility


Women in Retail

media-images-other-walmart-canada-associates-in-store_130138106951156415_300x190.jpg

Our Women in Retail store program has been identified as a best practice by Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., and is being replicated in 27 markets around the globe. Since the inception of Women in Retail in 2010, there has been a 35.8% increase in the number of female store managers. It provides our associates with tools and resources to develop their careers, including mentor programs, workshops and networking opportunities.

Development and opportunity

In 2012, we experienced the largest growth in our history. This growth meant tremendous opportunities for our associates. We promoted 94 people into store manager roles and 241 into assistant manager roles. We welcomed 4,000 new associates, enhanced our development programs and celebrated the graduation of 1,297 associates from our retail training programs.